Thursday, October 22, 2009

Opening Blog

No one in my family before me was a sailor. I came by it through a happy accident of travel.

In the late 1950's, when I was about 4 years old my parents took me and my infant brother on a voyage aboard a freighter from San Francisco to Yokohama, Japan. We moved there to live for a couple years while my father studied and traveled all over the Far East.

Later we returned to the USA on the same ship, the SS Old Colony Mariner. Built in 1952 she was a C4-S-1a Mariner Class steam powered freighter, operated by Pacific Far East Lines. She was scrapped in 1980, two years after the demise of the company.

The voyage made a huge impression on me and I have loved ships ever since. The bustle of the port. The tugs, the docks, all of the activity as the longshoreman loaded the ship and the crew secured her for sea. The smells, the motion, the limitless horizon, and the mystery of navigation. I saw the engine room riding on the shoulders of the Chief Engineer and on the bridge they let me spin the wheel of an inactive autopilot.

I was hooked. I never lost my fascination with ships and as I grew up I made little wooden boats and imagined sailing the world as an explorer. My favorite books growing up were books about explorers and the stories of Jack London.

When I turned 18, I joined the Coast Guard and embarked upon this wonderful career as a sailor.

Now 38 years later, in reflection, I realize what a wonderful and happy choice it was.....

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you still love sea. I also joined ship when no one in family knew nothing about it. after 40 years running my hotel near beach, i also remember those days at sea and miss the smell of Engine room
    Girish Patil

    ReplyDelete